This bread is very popular with the kids as it’s really soft and milky and very mildly sweet and rich.
Normally I don’t use cream much for cooking, so whenever I have cream left in the fridge, I make this bread.
My kids love fish finger & egg salad sandwiches with this bread.
Milk Bread [4 little loaves]
400 g of High Grade/Strong Flour
30 g of Sugar
6 g of Salt
50 g of Cream
260 g of Milk
4 g of Instant Dry Yeast
25 g of Butter (Unsalted)
- Mix all the ingredients except the butter in a big bowl.
- Knead until it combines well (app. 5 min).
- Add butter to the dough and knead another 5-10min until the dough becomes silky and elastic.
- Cover the bowl with cling film or a wet tea towel and leave it in a warm place to let it rise until it doubles in volume. (app. 1 h to 1.5 h)
- Knead the dough briefly to deflate and divide it into 4 pieces.
- Let it rest covered for 15 min. (Bench time)
- Shape the dough, working on one piece at a time. (cover the others) Roll the dough into a rectangular shape, fold the dough horizontally in three. Then again in half. Seal it properly.
- Put all the shaped dough on a baking sheet and let it rise in a warm place for about 45 min. (Do not let it dry. Cover with a wet tea towel)
- Preheat the oven at 200 ℃ with the baking tray upside down. (easy to handle when it’s flat)
- Take the wet towel off 5 min before finishing the final rise, dust the top of each dough with flour and score five lines lengthways.
- Slide the dough into the oven and bake it at 190℃ for 15 – 17 min.
For the Sandwich
3 Eggs (hard boiled and chopped finely)
1-2 tbsp Mayonnaise
Salt and Lemon pepper to taste (Black pepper is fine as well)
1/2 tbsp of Milk (if you have some)
some fish fingers (grilled)
- Mix eggs, mayonnaise and milk in a small bowl and add salt and lemon pepper to taste.
- Make sandwiches with green salad and the egg mixture and fish fingers! ( I put Japanese “Tonkatsu sauce” on the fish fingers, you can use tomato sauce if you wish.)
* The milk bread recipe is adapted from here. It’s got a lot of photos to illustrate the shaping method.